All Blog Entries

1. POSTED 22 FEB 2011 - from FFH page

Part 1 I don't know if this counts as a true MIL story (because it's not a b!tchy story). But, here goes:

I've taken to reading the archives. It's helping me to read other people's stories and find new ways to deal with the MIL issues. I've noticed that, 99% of the time, DILs are writing the stories about their DH's mother. Why is that? Maybe guys just don't care enough to come to the site to vent?

So, it got me thinking, objectively, what is MY mother like to my DH? ...
    Categories
    Mother-In-Law Blog
  2. POSTED 30 NOV 2010 - from FFH page

Now, on to a more personal story - it always starts with the wedding: DH and I lived in a different state from his family, but he wanted to get married in his home state. Two weeks before the wedding, I went to stay with his parents, and everything was fine. They were very accommodating. That was VASTLY different to the rest of the wedding planning time. Being Australian, our wedding was Australian. I'm not talking koalas and kangaroos everywhere. I mean Aussie customs and traditions. I saw no need ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. POSTED 28 NOV 2010 - from FFH page

Now, we come to one of the most recent issues: When DH and I moved back to his home state (6 months after being married), MIL offered for us to live with her, FIL, and 16 year old SIL, until we found our own place. She knew we were looking for a place to live. We, of course, accepted (little did I know it was a BAD idea!). We moved in in April.

I, being an immigrant, wasn't able to work just yet. My work permit and/or green card had not arrived. I was also unable to drive, because ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. POSTED 26 NOV 2010 - from FFH page

We moved in with GMIL (MIL's mother), when MIL kicked us out. Turns out, cruelty runs in the family. Long story short: She kicked my puppy. Made all the worse that my puppy was 10 weeks old and recovering from an attack by another dog (she also insisted that I rescue this dog from where we got it). She told DH that I "needed to learn how to be a wife".

She didn't wish me happy birthday, even after DH walked in with a huge "happy birthday" balloon and she asked ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. POSTED 24 NOV 2010 - from FFH page

Couple more stories about my ILs and MIL: We moved out of GMIL's house at the end of August, after copping abuse from her for a while. We moved in with older SIL's BF (she lives in another state while going to school), who had deadbeat UIL (evil GMIL's son, who's our age) living with him.

UIL doesn't work. He lives off social security disability because of health issues. He had/has a GF who lives a decent distance away. UIL's antics: Stole SIL's pocket knife that DH got for her from ...
    Categories
    Mother-In-Law Blog

The Sister Knot, Apter
The Sister Knot
Why We Fight, Why We're Jealous, and Why We'll Love Each Other No Matter What

Secret Paths: Women in the New Midlife
Secret Paths
Women in the New Midlife

Working Women Don't Have Wives, Dr. Terri Apter Working Women Don't Have Wives
Professional Success in the 1990'S

To See More Books By
Dr. Terri Apter