Sassafrass

Oh Boy...

Rate this Entry
First time here, stumbled across a mention of this page while searching Yahoo answers for 'why is my mother in law crazy?'
My husband went from living at home, everything done for him, to an apartment with me. I am blessed that he became a responsible, helping and capable man. My MIL is sweet to the point of causing cavities, waits hand and foot on her husband, and in essence is only able to function due to copious amounts of prescrition drugs. These are all legally obtained, for actual illnesses, but she is so suppressed and bottled (was raised on the 'children should be seen and not heard' premise) and totally just pleases everyone despite what she herself mau or may not want. After yet another horrible weekend day and evening spent with the IL's, H and I have decided that we are going to spend as little time with them as possible.
MIL constantly lies about meaningless, rediculous things (ie. price she paid for item X when I already saw the receipt for said item on table.) Her blood pressure is thru the roof, at fifty she is on beta blockers because nothing else would stop her blood pressure from rising. She has trained SIL to be the same type, sugar to your face and vinegar behind your back. Also, SIL now married to a man who expects to be waited on hand and foot, totally disgusting. Fam- IL doesn't like me b/c I am a strong-willed, outspoken, respect-seeking woman who calls them on their bull####. Any advice/coping skills would be greatly appreciated! Xoxo Sass

Submit "Oh Boy..." to Digg Submit "Oh Boy..." to del.icio.us Submit "Oh Boy..." to StumbleUpon Submit "Oh Boy..." to Google

Categories
Mother-In-Law Blog

Comments

You say you are respect-seeking, but you are not respect-giving to your in-laws. You gotta give it to get it. Be more conscious of being respectful or you'll never be a happy member of the in-law side of the family. Don't be so proud of being strong-willed and outspoken: those are flaws in a person, not virtues. Try to be sweeter and more like his mom in that way: take care of your man and he'll take care of you when you need it. As to her little lies about what she paid for something and stuff like that, people lie because of their own insecurity. They think no matter what they really paid, it was too much or too little to impress you. They are just trying to get your approval; they are not intending to brag. They just want a favorable judgment from you. We are ALL little children, even parents in law.
    I am very polite and respectful, and have a ton of respect for my inlaws. I stumbled across this site while in a very agitated mood, and needed to vent. I'm gonna have to pass on your bit about being out-spoken and strong-willed = flaws...I'm not proud, simply stating the facts. I am who I am. And there is no way I am not gonna speak up when they make a comment that is racist/xenophobic...I am respectful about it, but I have low tolerance for ignorance.
Leave Comment Leave Comment

The Sister Knot, Apter
The Sister Knot
Why We Fight, Why We're Jealous, and Why We'll Love Each Other No Matter What

Secret Paths: Women in the New Midlife
Secret Paths
Women in the New Midlife

Working Women Don't Have Wives, Dr. Terri Apter Working Women Don't Have Wives
Professional Success in the 1990'S

To See More Books By
Dr. Terri Apter
Click Here.