One of dh's relatives just had a baby. We went to visit said baby...dh because he wanted to see it, me to be polite. But according to mil we are so desperate to have a baby that we want to take relatives baby home with us???

During the visit relative said that mil told them we wanted a baby so badly we wanted to take this baby home. Everything I did surrounding this 'baby' was to be polite. Gifts, flowers to the mother after delivery...it's what I do for everyone who has a baby. I'm glad baby is healthy and mother is fine. The baby had on one of the outfits I got for it. I had no idea it was the outfit I had given them because I didn't remember. When I purchased things off the 'gimmmeee gifts list' baby registry, I looked at the number...made sure it matched and threw it in the cart. I earned a check mark in my planner...one more to-do task done.

I am very happy being childfree and no I don't hate children. It was a choice to be childfree. It's just mil projecting the fact that she will never be a grandmother since dh is an only child. I get so sick of the attitude every time someone has a baby that I must be heartbroken and desperate since I don't have one. It's no one elses business why we don't have kids and I hate that they just assume we are heartbroken and desperate.

It's a no win situation. If I confront mil with her lie it will be because I am 'upset' about not having children. If I say nothing mil gets away with gossip and lies. I stay away the mil and give her no information about us... but it doesn't seem to matter because she just makes stuff up. I don't care what mil things but I hate that she lies and gossips to other family members.