Quote Originally Posted by Pamme64 View Post
Thanks for this. There were a lot of good things and a lot of bad things about Indiana. This is embodied by our new living situation. We went from living in a house that was built in the 1890s to an apartment. There was always something to do as far as house upkeep/repairs, or cleaning the gritty dust that accumulated, or working in our garden that we had established over the 20 years we lived there (DD got to harvest the garlic I planted last fall). Today I spent less than half an hour on dishes, sweeping, and folding clothes which left more time for staring at a screen. Exciting. I am having difficulties with finding focus. We only know what a few of our neighbors look like, and none of their names. In Indiana, people look you in the eye and engage with you wherever you are. We knew all of our neighbors, even the ones who lived in the two story trailer park (an old house that had been converted to apartments) next door. Here, people avoid your eyes, and may or may not say "hi." I lived in this state as a young adult and easily assimilated. This time is going to be a bit more difficult. So, yeah, I am getting bored. Fortunately, old friends and my children don't mind me calling when I need to.

AND, I got a call for an interview. So, yay me.

When we were at the ILs, I made a point of telling the SILs about how traumatic this whole experience has been for us. SIL#1 made a comment about the positive FB comments both DH and I often got about how we had impacted people's lives as the school closed and we posted about moving. She seemed shocked about how much of an impact we had on so many people's lives. St. Joe was a unique community that we were involved in such a way that was, well, I really can't explain it. I have not ever encountered anything like it. It was enduring, multigenerational, and just amazing. Wherever we went in the US, we encountered alum or family members of students or alum who knew who we were. I went to school there back in the 90s, and my professors became my friends, and then my colleagues. Former students who I helped get into grad school came back to teach there, or give talks. Their last catch phrase was "involved for life," and they really got that right. Right now, we are isolated, and alone. Once again, there is both good and bad in this. So, yeah, I have been using avoidance as a coping mechanism, because it is just too big to begin to process yet.

wow, Pamme! I hope your new life comes together and you start feeling less isolated. So sorry about the college closure! Good luck with the job.

I bet it is a huge culture change moving out there, but hang in there. You will meet new people and make friends. The library or animal shelter (or other volunteer work) is my go-to source for meeting new people - events at the local library to find people with similar interests, and I volunteer at shelters and meet people there too. After you settle in and get less busy, of course!